Eligibility and Age Requirements
To be eligible to participate in interscholastic activities, a student must not have reached his 19th birthday prior to May 1st, preceding his year of participation. A student has eight (8) consecutive semesters or four (4) consecutive years of eligibility from the date of entry into the ninth grade to be eligible for interscholastic competition. Eligibility for middle school basketball and cheerleading is also determined by the grades for second semester of the previous years.
Basketball starts October 25th and students must have passed five of seven courses in the second semester of the previous year. Grades for first semester need to be checked to determine continued eligibility in second semester sports (winter and spring sports). Students gain or lose eligibility on the first day of the new semester based on the credits earned the 1st semester of the current year.
1. A student is not considered to have entered the 9th grade when a 9th grade course is taken if:
a. the student is regularly enrolled in a member’s feeder school in a grade below the ninth, AND
b. the course is taken as an advanced course, AND
c. the principal of the school attended by the student certifies to the GHSA that the subject and course(s) meet the criteria set forth above. Eighth grade participation on high school JV teams must meet the same requirements and their transcripts must be checked by the high school coach using the same criteria.
2. Credits earned toward high school graduation which are taken below the ninth grade may be used when considering high school eligibility. Students enrolled in
grade 8 in a middle school or junior high school which is a feeder school to the member high school may participate in spring football practice. These students must be eighth graders may only participate one year on an athletic middle school athletic team as an eighth grader. Seventh graders may participate one year on middle school athletic teams as a seventh grader.
Carnegie Unit Requirements
Students must accumulate Carnegie units towards graduation according to the following criteria:
1. First-year students (entering 9th grade) are eligible academically. Second semester first-year students must have passed courses carrying at least 2.5 Carnegie units the previous semester in order to participate.
2. Second-year students must have accumulated five (5) total Carnegie units in the first year, AND passed courses carrying at least 2.5 Carnegie units in the previous semester.
3. Third-year students must have accumulated ten (10) Carnegie units in the first and second years, AND passed courses carrying at least 2.5 Carnegie units in the previous semester.
4. Fourth-year students must have accumulated sixteen (16) Carnegie units in the first three years, AND passed courses carrying at least 2.5 Carnegie units in the previous semester.